Google Add-on for Sheets
This free add-on helps to create and modify a project schedule in a Google spreadsheet fast and accurately using a WBS work breakdown structure of tasks and start and finish dates per task. The ProjectSheet script calculates a Gantt chart from the schedule for the weeks set in the sidebar. During project execution optional color indications in the schedule table or Gantt chart give alerts for progress and delay.
ProjectSheet can be installed from the Chrome Web Store and can be added to an empty Google spreadsheet from its Add-ons menu. At first a table with columns and a Gantt chart are added to the spreadsheet, then the sidebar appears with functions. Tasks are entered in the table rows where they can be modified with help of the sidebar.
Next to the free version the Pro version has additional functionality:
- calculate task finish date from its duration days or work hours
- link successive tasks and calculate the project finish date
- assign resources to tasks and calculate costs
- adjust working week and add optional non-working dates (holidays)
The spreadsheet can contain user or company specific columns or sheets.
A Google Sheets spreadsheet has additional advantages:
- online access to files, always and everywhere
- show schedule to stakeholders by sharing the file for viewing (without ProjectSheet)
- real-time team work by sharing the file for editing (same ProjectSheet version)
- information exchange with Excel, download to pdf, etc.
The user needs to authorize ProjectSheet once to execute functions for him in Google Drive and Google Sheets. The extended rights are necessary to use and activate the Pro functions.